Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Wonderful World of Autism

I just read an article about a 5 yr old boy that died from a treatment called chelation. Its basically a treatment meant to remove heavy metals from the body. Since so many people believe mercury is a direct contributor to autism, chelation seems like a good idea. But this baby was 5. I cringe because the death of any 5 year old is tragic. But more so I cringe because this is a treatment that was recommended to me by other parents. Well meaning but Kooky parents here in my own neighborhood.

When we first moved here we were encouraged to join up with other parents in the Collin County Autism Society. It was supposed to help. I didn't get much out of it. A few times I was bombarded with advice about completely changing his diet. That gluten free crap. And just about everything has gluten, folks. After an hour of one well meaning mom, I asked if her son was better. Not really, and he was still on other medication. The parents meetings also seemed to be devoted to griping about politics. Lots of Bush bashing. Last time I looked, he wasn't the one responsible for the care and treatment of my son. "He should do more " was a common complaint. (Like what?) The meetings turned into an exercise in futility. Nothing was accomplished. I certainly didn't feel better. I left more confused and discouraged than before.

It also seems everytime a parent gets interviewed by any media all they can say is that mercury in immunizations cause autism. Maybe that is their experience. I can't blame them for feeling the way they do, if their child truly changed after a shot. But that wasn't my experience. And they speak for all parents? What does consistently blaming mercury in immunizations do to help my child who already has autism? We can't go back in time. I just don't understand the blame game. It hinders real progress. All the effort thats going to proving that unsubstantiated mercury link, and it really is unsubstantiated, could be going to real research.

I've met and seen parents that have their whole life affected and devoted to Autism. It rules every aspect of their lives. I used to feel bad that I wasn't a crusader for Autism. That maybe I was viewed as not caring as much as they do. So I don't take Tiger to the doc every five minutes. I haven't tried every wacky diet/treatment plan. I'm doing the best I can with the tools God gave me. I do what I think is best for Tiger. I treat him like a regular child. I treat him like the beautiful, sweet, smart, 7 year old that he is. Its always been my instinct and intention to do so. His siblings also treat him like that. They wish he didn't have autism, but they also relish his bouts of normalcy. They cheer when he says a word. They are truly excited to see him do things right that he once struggled with.

I don't feel bad anymore for not letting his Autism turn me into a Kook. I love my son too much for that. I have a connection to other parents of Autistic kids. But don't lump me in there with those that would do anything or blame anyone. It breaks my heart to see some of these kids suffer through their useless treatments. And some have even lost their lives.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mercury in immunizations doesn't do anything. It is also a common practice in the Third World countries, but Autism rate in those regions are not that high.

How's his motor skill? If that is not too much impaired, keep hope. While he will never be a "normal" boy, but with supervision and proper psychiatric care, he can be at least self-sufficient.

The biggest concern would be when he becomes a teenager. When his sex drive will become active, he can become highly irritated. You have to make sure that he is either isolated from the opposite sex or that his energies are focus on activities that are very time demanding.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

Wow. I don't know much about autism, but I'd say you have the right attitude.

3:10 PM  
Blogger echotig said...

Dear Anon....You sound like you know from experience maybe?

His motor skills are off the charts good. That boy could walk a tightrope in the dark.

He does alot of normal things, like helping me make mac and cheese. He does alot of things for himself. So I know someday he will be self sufficient.

Thanks for your comment.

5:44 PM  
Blogger clone3g said...

Go Tiger Go!!!
Great Blog guys and great outlook. I found my way over here from Autism Diva's blog and I'm glad I did. Any parent new to autism is easily overwhelmed by all of the information available on the subject and it certainly doesn't make it any easier when other parents try to sell you on things that they have become sold on. Common sense goes a long way, autism or not. Nice to see parents able to think for themselves.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home